Greater Ennis United Way Works To Build A Healthier Ennis.
Whether it is a neighbor without health insurance, a victim of abuse or someone struggling with mental illness or an addiction, Greater Ennis United Way is working to ensure everyone has access to affordable and quality care.
- More than 33% of children and adolescents are overweight or obese. That’s 25 million kids and teenagers.
- Children with health coverage are better prepared to learn in school and succeed in life. (1)
- The number of Americans without health insurance has increased steadily since the beginning of the century, now totaling about 47 million. More than 80% are working families. (2)
- 8.7 million children live without health insurance – more than the total number enrolled in the first and second grades in U.S. public schools. (3)
(1) Institute of Medicine. From Neurons to Neighborhood: The Science of Early Childhood Development. Washington DC: National Academies Press, 2000.)
(2) Employee Benefit Research Institute estimates from the March Current Population Survey, 2007 Supplement.
(3) Compiled by the State Health Access Data Assistance Center (SHADAC), University of Minnesota School of Public Health, using data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s Current Population Survey 2007.