Greater Ennis United Way. Working To Build A Healthier Ennis.
Whether it is a neighbor without health insurance, a victim of abuse or someone struggling with mental illness or an addiction, Greater Ennis United Way is working to ensure everyone has access to affordable and quality care.
Drug Prevention Resources, Inc. – IMPACT Ennis
A program of Drug Prevention Resources. Impact Ennis teaches in-school education curriculum about making good decisions and knowing your value, with the ultimate goal to keep kids and young people away from drugs and alcohol. Ninety percent of adult problems with substances begin in the teen years. They show up in classrooms and communities every day with hearts and minds ready to inspire leaders to make prevention a reality or all students. They raise awareness around cohesive drug-free prevention messages while taking positive actions and changing social norms. Through the financial assistance of Greater Ennis United Way Impact Ennis was able to purchase an incinerator and safety equipment for law enforcement officers to properly dispose of unused prescription drugs that are collected by the prescription drug take-back program. They will also be assisting local Veterans through our VetCorps and Smoke-Free Ellis County programs. Learn More -->
Ellis County Coalition for Health Options (dba Hope Clinic)
A Federally Qualified Health Center that enhances the provision of primary health care services for uninsured and under-served in and around Ellis County. This designation gives the clinic the ability to serve Medicare and Medicaid patients. Hope Clinic provides Adult Medical, Women’s Health, Pediatrics, Dental and Behavior Health services. We have two locations, Waxahachie and Ennis. Through the financial assistance of Greater Ennis United Way we served 8,000 patients in 2017 with 1800 of those patients served at the Ennis site. With the United Way funds we were able to purchase a Fetal Doppler, wheel chair scale and an audiometer for our Ennis location. This is a tremendous help in giving our patients the quality healthcare they need. Learn More -->
Runnin' Free Ranch
A place where veterans, at-risk youth, those with special needs and their families can experience freedom, hope and positive life-giving relationships through the facilitation of equine assisted counseling and activities. Learn More -->
- More than 33% of children and adolescents are overweight or obese. That’s 25 million kids and teenagers.
- Children with health coverage are better prepared to learn in school and succeed in life. (1)
- The number of Americans without health insurance has increased steadily since the beginning of the century, now totaling about 47 million. More than 80% are working families. (2)
- 8.7 million children live without health insurance – more than the total number enrolled in the first and second grades in U.S. public schools. (3)
(1) Institute of Medicine. From Neurons to Neighborhood: The Science of Early Childhood Development. Washington DC: National Academies Press, 2000.)
(2) Employee Benefit Research Institute estimates from the March Current Population Survey, 2007 Supplement.
(3) Compiled by the State Health Access Data Assistance Center (SHADAC), University of Minnesota School of Public Health, using data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s Current Population Survey 2007.